Kawishiwi Falls Trail: An easy 1.5 mile hike round trip – water flows out of Garden Lake into Fall Lake at the Fall Lake Dam. The trail is easily navigable with amazing trees and forest growth.
Plenty of great photo opportunities and fun to get up close on the rocks. The rapids were roaring last week!
Be sure to allow extra time to just relax and take in the view!
Iron Lake – Destination reached after a two hour high speed ride boat ride across Crane Lake & Lac LaCroix with canoes strapped on the rack and a four hour paddle. Not to mention the tow across land with a funky tow rope and modified railroad track – something like this (without four kids & three canoes)…
Glorious Surroundings! Pictographs on Lac LaCroix & a short day trip to Curtain Falls:
A few more helpful hints…
- Quetico (Canada’s BWCA): No designated campsites and no latrines. Bring a shovel when you set out to dig your own latrine. Definitely much in common with your four legged friend – I try to appreciate the challenge.
- BWCA: Designated campsites and latrines. Always great fun for the kiddos to locate the latrine and no shovel required – what a luxury. Dare I say don’t look down.
Snakes & Snapping Turtles: (Not a moose in sight)
- Not your average garter snake – much wider and several feet longer and based on number of times I experienced a particular snake, it must have been lonely and happy to have a friend. Harmless, just startling.
Snapping Turtle – Also not your average turtle – looked entirely prehistoric and enjoyed feasting on the scraps of food left over from the dishes. Keep your toes out of the water and put these creatures out of your mind when you jump in the lake to rinse off.
Popular Menu Items:
- Walleye – the favorite meal by far – Pack some cooking oil and Original Shore Lunch – simply divine.
- Pizza – in the wrought iron skillet on the fire – easy and delicious.
- Pasta & Pesto – only employed if no fresh walleye caught
- Pancakes and Oatmeal for breakfast
- Hard salami, cheese, and trail mix for lunch
Be sure to hang the meal pack. Empty all food from manufactured packaging. Place in Ziplock bags. Easy to grab the bags needed for a meal and easy to pack plastic bags out for the paddle home.
All kid friendly food and easy to prepare. Rain or shine and on the fire or with the gas flame. Enjoy!